The Alaska Rural Rehabilitation Corporation (ARRC) was incorporated in 1935 under the laws of the territory of Alaska. It was founded as a non-profit organization under the direction of the Department of Interior and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration to administer the colony of 202 families being relocated from the mid-west.
The participants in this relocation were allocated a house, 40 acres of land, necessary tools and equipment. The federal government provided loan money to enable the colonists to set up their farms and get established. ARRC administered those long-term, low-interest loans and became the entity for managing and operating the agricultural project on behalf of the United States Government. Once the federal loans were repaid, accrued interest remained in a revolving fund from which ARRC continued to make loans to farmers and others involved in agricultural pursuits.
Today, ARRC continues in its mission to help farmers state wide.